The N scale layout build out is beginning. Here is a progress report from Mark W.
The N-Scale Team’s goals for 2020 are as follows:
- Construct frame to support the lower level track and the shelf for the upper level track.
- For the lower level, the track will be supported on “cookie-cutter” pieces of wood held to the correct elevations with risers.
- For the upper level, we plan to use foam like the HO layout – but installing the foam is not in this year’s plan, so the upper shelf will be used as a shelf.
- Mount the lower level “cookie-cutter” decking for the main line, the passing siding, the start of the ramp up to the second level, and the yard
- Mount a board for the base of the Port
- Mount decking for the area in front of the Port as this will be all level.
- Place cork roadbed and track for the main line, the passing siding, the start of the ramp up to the second level, and the yard. Any turnouts planned on the main line will be installed at this time to simplify future construction stages.
- Wire the installed track and install sufficient controls to allow operation of the layout’s lower level by the end of the year.
At this time, we have completed items 1 and 3; are advancing on items 2 and 4, and anticipate starting on item 5 this week.
The following photos show a little of the progress.
The left peninsula and the central portion of the layout. In the foreground one can see the decking for the area in front of the port with the planned track lines drawn on.
The second level can be seen at the back. Completion of this will come later.